The Kings

One King, One Queen, Four Princesses and One Prince

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Camden's Birth Story

The day you were born Camden, I will never forget. It's the day we welcomed our first red head to the family. Both Mommy and Daddy were very surprised. We had to work hard to get you to come to join our family. We were so excited when we found out you were coming.I was three weeks away from your due date. I had read somewhere about tips to induce labor yourself. I took all the advice I could get. You'll understand one day the extremes Mommy's sometimes take to get their babies here early. I was trying these tricks and they were working. I was able to make myself contract about every 3-5 minutes. After and day or two of doing this, I thought, I've had to have dilated more by now. So on the morning of the 20 of September, after making myself contract for hours that day, I called Daddy and told him that I wanted to go to the hospital and have them check me to see if I had dilated anymore.I got in the hospital and the nurses hooked me up to the monitors. I was still contracting. Sometimes on my own sometimes because I made myself. I was dilated to a 3. I was so excited. I thought for sure they'd admit me. I mean I was already a 3. That was when they admitted me with Riley. But since I was three weeks early, they said that I needed to progress to prove that I was in labor. Daddy and I knew what to do. We started to walk around the hospital to see if we could get the show on the road. We called the Grandparents and told them what was happening and we said that we'd let them know what happened next. We walked around for an hour or two and then went back to our room to be checked. I was contracting the whole time we were walking and I could feel more and more pressure with every one. The nurse checked me and said that I was at a 3 and a half. I said well that's progress isn't it? She said sure but she needed to talk to the doctor first. After a while the nurse came back in and said that the doctor wanted me to progress a little more. I was just too early. So back to the halls we went again. After another hour or two,the nurse came back and checked me again. I was at a four. They admitted me and we were on our way. I was so excited to see you. So was Daddy. Riley was there at the hospital with us until Grandma King came and picked her up and took her to get some dinner. Grandma Cindy had jumped on a plane and was on her way. The doctor, Dr. Sumsion, came in and broke my water and started me on pitocin. I got my epidural soon after that. Daddy got a little sick while getting my epidural. He had to sit down right after I was finished. Daddy can't handle those things sometimes but he still was my greatest support.After I got my epidural, my blood pressure dropped really fast. Daddy had gone home to get Riley in bed so that Grandpa King could come over and stay with her. I got really sick to my stomach and almost passed out. Grandma King handed me a bowl and the next thing I know, I am surrounded by nurses and the anesthesiologist. They had to pump me full of liquids to raise my blood pressure. It happened one more time and then I was feeling ok.My labor with you went a whole lot like the labor with Riley. Slow progress, slow dilation, slow, slow, slow. But eventually, you decided that you were ready to come and see us. Daddy was sleeping on the couch in the room. Grandma Cindy was sitting in a chair next to Grandma King.Uncle Andrew and Aunt Jenny were sleeping out in the car waiting to come running in when it was time. I was uncomfortable in the bed when the nurse came in and told us the great news that it was time to push. The nurses came in and got your bed all ready. They were ready and waiting. The doctor came in and got himself ready and then it was time. I was so surprised because I pushed through two contractions and out you came.You were born at 4:30 in the morning on September 21, 2005. Daddy cut your cord and they took you over to your bed to clean you up. Grandma King took pictures, Grandma Cindy and Daddy were close by watching you. You were crying and I heard the nurse say, "She's got red hair!" I looked at Daddy and asked him if you really did have red hair. He said no, I think it's just from the blood. Well you did indeed have red hair. Beautiful red hair. It was so shiny and golden red. We loved it. You weighed 7 pounds 2 ounces 21 inches long. We were so happy to see you. You cried until the nurse handed you to Daddy. He was so proud to hold you. He cried a little and had a permanent smile. He handed you over to me and I held you for the first time.I checked you all out. First I checked your red hair out. You had so much hair too. Then I checked out your long fingers and toes. You were perfect. We were so happy to call you ours and we happily welcomed you to our family.

No comments: