The Kings

One King, One Queen, Four Princesses and One Prince

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Riley's Birth Story

The day before I had you Riley, your dad and I went to play volleyball at a park in Layton with some friends. I was a week away from my due date and being a first time mommy, I was growing more and more nervous each day. I was paying attention to every little movement or contraction and I was so anxious to meet you. Daddy went with Grandma and Grandpa King to the temple that night as well. I stayed home because I was just uncomfortable and tired. I felt like something was going to happen. While I was home I was walking around the house, pacing back and forth. The contractions just kept coming but they weren't hurting yet. Daddy finally got home and I told him what was going on. We decided that we would go to bed and try to sleep. I slept pretty good until 3:30 am on June 2. I kept contracting. I got up and used the bathroom and thought that maybe my water had broke. It hadn't but I was anxious. So I woke Daddy up around 5:30 and he started to time the contractions. They were coming every 5-6 minutes. We went upstairs and got some breakfast. I was eating a piece of toast and a glass of water. We told Grandma what was going on and she said we'd better get going to the hospital. I got really nervous. My first baby was about to be here. Was I ready? What was this whole labor and delivery going to be like? Would I be able to do it? We got everything ready and loaded into the car and drove to Mckay Dee Hospital in Ogden. I called Grandma and Grandpa Baker on the way there to let them know we were going to go in and get checked. We made it to the hospital. The contractions were still coming but they were slowly getting more intense.I got into our room and the nurse got me hooked up to the monitors. They checked me and I was only at a 1 1/2. BUMMER! So they said that I could try walking around for a bit. It was a Sunday morning so the hospital wasn't busy at all. Daddy and I walked around for an hour or so. We almost got locked in the stairwell once. That would've been bad. I was only wearing a gown. We went back to our room and the nurse checked me again. I was now at a 2 and the contractions were still coming. The nurse said if I get to a 3 they'll admit me and induce my labor. So out to the halls we went again for some more walking. Your Daddy and I were very nervous. We were very excited to meet you but very nervous not knowing what was going to happen. The next time they checked me was about 2 hours later. I was at a 3. YIPPEE!! They admitted me and got us all settled into our room and hooked up to the monitors again.I called Grandma and Grandpa Baker and Daddy called Grandma and Grandpa King and we told them that you were definitely coming. Grandma Cindy got on a plane that was going to arrive at 10:00 that night. I didn't think that she would make it. Grandpa Baker got in the motor home and drove all the way there that day.My doctor, Dr. Lesser, came in and checked me and told the nurses to hook me up to pitocin and then he'd be back to break my water. At this point, I asked the nurse when I could get my epidural. She said anytime.So I said How about now? A little while later, they got me hooked up to am epidural and pitocin and broke my water. I was ready to go. My progress was VERY slow. I took forever to dilate with you. We watched movies like Twister and we watched some tv. The Sacramento Kings were playing in the playoffs then and the game was on tv that night. As I laid in bed and watched the game with your dad, I kept thinking "Ok anytime. We'll be pushin anytime." Not so. Grandma Cindy got there and so did Grandma and Grandpa King and Aunt Kiley and Katie. Everyone was so excited to meet you. Finally at 11:30 the nurse came in and told me that I was at a 10. The room was being prepped and I was growing more and more nervous by the second. This was really it. I was going to have a baby. I was going to be a mommy. Grandma Cindy kept giving me ice chips to eat/drink. I was so thirsty I just let them melt in my mouth and swallow. When the doctor was ready and your bed was waiting, it was time to push. First, Dr. Lesser's wife, who is also an OBGYN, came in and turned you around so that you were looking down instead of up. They thought that that was why you were so slow to descend. Grandma King grabbed the camera, Grandma Cindy grabbed my leg and Daddy grabbed my other leg and head. Grandpa Baker even made it in time after driving all day to get there. He was also in the room when you were born.It was hard figuring out how to push you out. I was so tired. I pushed for an hour and a half with every contraction. My neck was hurting from straining to curl up for more pressure. Finally, at 1:30 am on June 3, 2002, your chubby little face came out, followed by the rest of your chubby little body. You were perfect. You barely even cried. Daddy cut the cord and the nurses took you over to your bed where they cleaned you up. You must have had a bunch of gunk in your lungs and nose because they kept sticking this suction tube down your throat and up your nose to suck out all the stuff. After they got you cleaned up and wrapped up, the nurse handed you to Daddy. I still remember the look on his face. He was smiling through tears. He was so proud. He was so gentle. He was also so worried about finding just the right way to hold you. He brought you over to me and I got to hold you for the very first time. You were so warm and chubby and pink. I took off your hat and checked out your hair. You had a bunch of dark hair. The first thing I said when I saw you was ,"Whoa she's got some cheeks!" You weighed 8 pounds 1 ounce and you were 20 inches long. You were perfect. You were ours. We spent the next hour passing you around.Everyone was instantly in love with you. Especially Daddy and I. You made us parents and you changed our lives that day.

No comments: