The Kings

One King, One Queen, Four Princesses and One Prince

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Chad's Torture Chamber

Last Wednesday night, Chad was in the garage working on a bike rack he was building. All of a sudden I hear him kicking on the door to the house. I run and open the door and I see him holding a bloody thumb and he says..."Band aid...Big one!!!" I go and get the first aid kit and lay everything out to fix him up. I asked what he did. He said he was using the drill to screw in one of the feet on the bottom of the rack. He was pushing hard when the drill slipped off of the screw and into his thumb. Well under his thumb nail to be exact. His thumb nail was pretty much floating on his thumb. He tried letting go of his thumb with his other hand but some of the blood had dried leaving his thumbs stuck together. So I had to hold his torn off thumb nail down while he pulled his other thumb off and let go. I wrapped it up tight and told him to elevate it while I called the emergency room. I got some little info from the ER nurse and decided that he would probably be ok waiting until the next morning. So with his thumb throbbing in pain he went to bed. The next day he went to the doctor where they removed the thumb nail and put four stitches in his nail bed where the drill bit went in and then they put his nail back on to protect it and put a stitch in both sides to hold it on. He's doing better now and it is healing well. I am on the look out for some steel tipped gloves so he can finish the projects I need him to do with no further injuries.


Wrapped up from the doctor.

Here's the damage. Keep in mind that the nail is only held on by two stitches. He gets to take the nail off in a couple of days and then I'll be able to see the real damage.


No comments: